Wednesday 3 April 2013

Lets all be excellent with each other - Safe use of the Nidderdale Greenway



The Nidderdale Greenway has been open nearly a week. Yesterday an older person was knocked down by a bike rider  and air lifted to Harrogate Hospital with a broken hip. Worse yet the rider apparently rode off from the scene of the incident.  More from North Yorkshire Police on the incident here.

I wish her a full and speedy recovery I hope justice finds the cyclist if they really did leave the scene.

How could this happen? Well I have a few ideas even though I know nothing of the circumstances of the incident. I also have a few suggestions about how to stop it happening again.

The Nidderdale Greenway is a shared use facilitiy its not a cycleway as some people believe. Bikes, walkers and horses are welcome. For that to work people have to share the route, this means compromise. These types of transport all operate at different speeds. Walkers take many risks when they use a path like this. Bikes are bigger and going faster, horses pose yet another set of risks to both horse riders and other users. I wonder if people have thought this through? Its still better though than going on a road with things with engines.

I saw some poor/risky behaviour on bank holiday monday as I rode the route. This from both cyclists and walkers. Some bike riders rode like they were about to sprint for the line on a stage of the Tour de France. That's way too fast on a route that was really busy with loads of traffic. Young kids walking and on bikes and lots of dogs wandering around not to mention loads of "ordinary" bikes and walkers. I saw some walkers stopping and chatting in groups. They were blocking the path or walking three and four abreast this was no help. I didn't hear enough bike bells being rung or even bike riders saying excuse me. Someone was throwing a stick for a dog up and down the route that's just daft.

I felt there was overly risky behaviour from too many people. I think this is ignorance not stupidity. I figured what the heck, no one got hurt and then it turned out somebody had. I think people don't know what to do and there are no signs at the moment to tell you what is expected. Signs will go up soon I am told. This will help but I don't want any more avoidable accidents so this post is an attempt to get some guidance out there.

On a positive note nearly everybody seemed to be having a good time and that remains the most important thing. This is a leisure route mainly (apologies if you commute on it), but I think we need to educate users so there are as few injuries going forward as possible.

Some common sense stuff for various types of user that might make everyone's life better and longer.

Bike Riders

Take it steady when you approach groups of walkers or horse riders, ring your bell, slow down or say excuse me. They won't hear you as a bike is virtually silent when approaching from behind. Slow down a bit generally. If you want to go out time trialling this is not the place.  Horses particularly can be spooked by bikes, I spooked one once when riding to fast and as it reared over me its front legs flailing I made a rapid mental decision to be more considerate in the future.

Walkers

There are bikes around look out for them, give them some room don't hog the whole route. You are at risk as bikes can go fast and will hurt if they hit you. Most bike riders wear protective gear most walkers don't. You need to be aware of whats going on around you.

Dog Walkers

You have to control your dog and that might mean putting it on a lead when its a really busy day. There of plenty of videos of dogs losing in collisions with bikes on You Tube. I wouldn't want that to be your dog. Your dog can also unseat a horse rider if it spooks it. Horses riders have a really poor safety record when it come to riders being injured or killed after being thrown, they are that bit higher up.

Horse Riders
Your vulnerable as well, you need to make sure your horse is used to both dogs and bikes before you take it on to what is often a busy route. Equally an out of control horse can be a dangerous weapon to other users, make sure you are confident in your ability to control your horse before you set off.

Now there is nothing to difficult or scary there is there? Off you go and enjoy your wonderful new car free route and please, be excellent with each other.

4 comments:

  1. A really well rounded post. I agree we all need to be aware and considerate not only our own safety but also those around us share the facility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children and I cycled along it today and we really enjoyed it but I felt the same as you, walkers were blocking the way quite often and it made it quite difficult with my little ones. . I think that the bikes should go the way of the traffic and walkers should walk towards the bikes as they should on the main road, that way every one would know there place and walkers would see cyclists coming and could step on the grass if there are bikes coming both ways. . Plus horses should go the way of the traffic to. All in single file, I wouldn't dream of going side by side today when it's so busy. . Hopefully it will be quieter next time it was quite frustrating today. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave ... thanks for posting this ...

    Sustrans did the work on this and they have done a great job ... cyclists and walkers (with or without dogs) need to learn to share the space and have some respect for each other. Please be aware of your environment ... this is not the Tour de France finish line and it's not a hike up Ingleborough. Be aware.

    And please take your litter (and your dogpoo) home with you! Enjoy the ride/walk ... be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spatial awareness, that's the thing. If you're walking (with or without dogs) be aware of cyclists. If you're cycling please ring your bell or shout. That way we'll all get on fine together.

    ReplyDelete