Thursday 5 September 2013

Rejoice - A new overcoat for Beryl Burton



I'm halfway through painting my utility room this afternoon when my phone starts pinging up twitter messages.

It's Rossett Conservatives @RossetCons letting me know the delightful and very welcome news that the Harrogate Knaresborough Beryl Burton Cycleway will be resurfaced in full as we all originally wanted.

Here is a post from Andrew Jones MP's blog with a bit of background to what happened. What he doesn't mention is the input from Councillor Richard Cooper who I think was a key player in getting this moving and Rebbeca Burnett who I  expect did her share of the heavy lifting too.

Best of all its become a joint project between Harrogate Borough Council and North Yorkshire County Council. So a win for the democratic process and I don't have to go and shovel tarmac myself in a blatant media stunt a few days before the Tour De France comes. This was where my thinking was headed if we didn't get a happy outcome.

I have to say that our elected representatives have done the business on this issue. I also need to thank Gavin Rutter  @Gav_Yorks from Stray FM for picking this up and the Harrogate Advertiser for running with it, even if the picture of me made me look a little disturbing.

I look forward to riding down the Beryl Burton on my moutain bike soon, but I'm going to treat myself to some slick tyres for speed and pretend I'm Beryl Burton. It will make a change from pretending I'm Mark Cavendish.



0 comments:

Post a Comment