Tuesday 11 September 2012

on Bikes and Harrogate's Grumpiest man


So @alanhuddart Harrogate's self proclaimed Grumpiest Man, legendary slayer of dragons and victor in the famous battle with Harrogate Borough Council, posts a link to an article in the daily mail  by Petronlla Wyatt. In it she says her mum had been knocked down twice in a month by a bike rider. Now this sounds terrible but it turns out she made the same claim two years ago and it looks like some of the article was a cut and paste job.

Why could Petronella have a thing against cyclists? No possible reason I can think of. This the Same Petronella Wyatt  that had a dalliance with London's mayor Boris Johnson that is now fading into the past, Boris well known cyclist and brains behind the Boris Bike? Just pointing out those last few facts, I'm not obviously suggesting any link.

Anyway back to Harrogate's Grumpiest Man, we got into a mild twitter spat about cycling. Him saying folk shouldn't be riding on pavements (in principle I agree) and that its dangerous and illegal. So is it? Should we always seperate bikes and pedestrians on the grounds that it is simply too dangerous for them to mix?

Well the best data I could find was saying in the 10 years 1999-2009, 29 pedestrians were killed by bike riders and 7,600 by cars. So if your a pedestrian you are roughly 200 times more likely as a pedestrian to die as a result of by being hit by a car than a bike.

What do I think about pedestrians and bikes sharing footpaths or even pavements? Well in principle I'm against it as I said but I do want to act on Chris Boardman's suggestion that we re-design our urban environment to favour cyclists. Trouble is even if this argument is won, it won't happen overnight so what could be done in the way of interim solutions? Well mixed use of of some suitable wide footpaths seems to have merit, we have some in Harrogate on the Stray for example.

I'm not suggesting that this is a solution that would work everywhere but I do think the idea that pedestrians and cyclists should live separate lives on the grounds that they cannot rub along in reasonable safety is wrong. I for one would rather have money spent on better cycle provision, for example urban speed limits of 20mph seem to have the most effect in reducing fatalities for both pedestrians and cyclists. Rather this than the enforcement of laws that may well do little to save the lives of pedestrians.

I'm reading this and I'm worried people will think I'm anti car. Some deep green, knit your own yoghurt commune living freak and it ain't necessarily so. Read my on the road post for more on my love of cars and one in particular. I drive more than I cycle and walk, I don't suppose that will change. I own a car and its a battered SUV, I like it (but I love my bike). Its great for driving around the relatively empty county of North Yorkshire and I chuck tools in it for work. I suspect I will always drive more than I cycle. I just think for journey's under 3 miles round town the bike wins if your on your own. Its quicker and it keeps you fit.

What really got to me about Petronella's piece is the unjustified attack on bike riders especially as the source article looks well up to the rigorous journalistic standards that the Daily Mail always adhere to. Sure the odd cyclist rides badly, some of them use pavements all the time and you can't condone it. Thing is some pedestrians walk out into the road without looking or walk around so drunk they are a danger to themselves and others, see Harrogate about 11 o'clock most Friday nights. People drive around talking on their mobiles so often I hardly notice, speed limits are ignored as a matter of course by many and nobody even sees it.

Bike riders are just like other road users, most are pretty considerate a few are selfish and and an even smaller minority really are dangerous. I think the reason cyclists are seen as a soft target or often as the target of choice is they have novelty value. You see we might have the best elite cyclists on the planet but riding a bike on the road remains a minority behaviour. So just being on a bike gets you noticed, if your breaking the rules you stick out like a Roman Nose and you get remembered.

Do I think me and Harrogate's Grumpiest Man will ever agree on this? No not really he seems to be a rules and regulations guy and I'm interested in change. I want better towns where the car isn't king and the bike is no longer the transport chav, part of the underclass, a useless NEET of all the choices you have when you want to nip out in one of the nicest towns in Britain. Anyway spleen vented.




0 comments:

Post a Comment