Tuesday 18 September 2012

Well at least nobody died



This is Derek Ryan's story from last week. He emailed it to us, worth a read. North Yorkshire County Council have argued they don't make better cycle provision because there is not enough demand. Seems to me they really ought to do a  more. Think we might start being a bit more demanding.
On Thursday evening I was making my way home through the town centre (it was about 19:45) along my usual route which takes me down East Parade towards Asda.

I came off the roundabout by the cinema and proceeded to coast down East Parade. There is a cycle lane along this road which I kept within.

I reached the traffic lights just before the turn off to Bower Street when out of nowhere a silver Mercedes S-Class (who must have been behind me) turned left in front of me and I had no chance. I managed to turn the bike to the left but it was too late and ploughed into his passenger door. I have yet to be given the drivers details so I can ask him how on earth he didn’t see me given that I had both front and rear lights flashing!

Alas, I ended up on my back with my legs now resting vertically against the rear door of his car. Within seconds passers by were ringing the emergency services. He was a youngish lad who had the decency to stick around and actually help the paramedics get me on a stretcher. You can see from the attached pics that the paramedics were concerned enough to strap me up as I had hurt my knee and banged my head.


The police officer who turned up was most unsympathetic and I shall be logging a complaint. He questioned me in the ambulance about the event, when I said I had been on the cycle lane he rather patronisingly told me that there was no cycle lane. A debate ensued before he then clarified that that cycle lane ends approximately 30 yards prior to the traffic lights. My point was that I ‘had’ been on the cycle path and anyway, it was irrelevant as clearly the driver had not seen me. He proceeded to inform me that he would give further details on his return to work the following Wednesday!? In some discomfort I then asked if I could be left alone with the paramedics to get taken to A&E rather than having a ridiculous argument with him.

A&E confirmed that I had in fact separated my AC shoulder joint, along with some other cuts and bruises. It could have been a lot worse. I have yet to speak to the driver to establish his side of the story but I suspect I will be taking this further.

I had to laugh that having very recently taken part in a charity bike ride across Scotland (150 miles) I get knocked over in my home town just minutes from my home.

5 comments:

  1. Derek, I wish you a fast recovery, sounds like you got off lightly. One of the problems with cycle lanes is they are designed by idiots, the one you were on leads you in to the filter lane for turning left (hence why it ends 30yrd before the lights) the driver possibly thought you were also turning left because you were in the 'turning left lane'? Had there been no cycle lane you could have been legitimately riding in the centre lane and carried straight on over the junction.

    Unfortunately cycling in this country is dangerous. You almost need to ride badly to get noticed! Might be worth checking if CCTV was covering that junction at the time of the collision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about 'accident'. I don't live in Harrogate any more, but grew up there and go back to cycle in the Dales with friends that live there at least once a year.

    I ended up in Harrogate A&E twice as a youngster in the early 1970's after being knocked off my bike by motorists. First time a parked car pulled out without looking or indicating and took me out. The next time a car decided to overtake parked cars on Crescent Road, forcing me to hit the curb and come off. Fortunately, both incidents just left me bruised and needing stitches, it could have been much worse. A helmet would have probably protected me and I wouldn't have needed head stitches each time, but there were no cycling helmets then. My kids never go out on a bike without one.

    On both occasions the drivers didn't even bother to stop and see if I was all right, despite being only 12 and 13 years old at the time. The police couldn't be bothered either and my parents had to take me to A&E on both occasions when I arrived home battered and bloody!

    It's a pity that over 40 years later that things are not much better, probably worse, as there are more cars about. I hope you make a speedy and full recovery Derek and that Harrogate Council gives cycling safety the attention it has needed for years.

    Vic Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I spoke with the officer and there seems to be some confusion as he claims I told him I was on the footpath. The driver and passenger also claim I was on the footpath but I know 100% that I was on the road. The policeman was confused as I was saying that I had been on the 'cycle path' i.e. the cycle section of the road. I'm now concerned that if I try and make a claim against the driver that it will fall apart as I supposedly said I was cycling on the 'footpath'....

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems to me If you need to make a complaint its against the Police Officer. Firstly for the way you where dealt with at the accident and then for him failing to correctly take a statement ffom you. If you just let it go, next time somebody might not be quite so "lucky" as you where. I know its a pain but it seems everybody is blaming you for being hit and then feeling annoyed. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the claim has begun...I will keep you posted

    ReplyDelete