Saturday 17 August 2013

Good Fettle and riding your age


It was my youngest boy's first proper cycle ride on Thursday. He has been threatening to be a fully independent cyclist for a while. We bribed him with the threat of cake and headed off from Starbeck down to Bilton on the cycle way.

We cut back towards Asda on the start of the Nidderdale Greenway. Just after you cross the railway at Grove Park is the new and charming Good Fettle cafe. We had tea, cake and a chat. I had been twittering away to Moira the owner for a bit so it was good to catch up face to face and check the place out. 

Not your ordinary cafe this one and I have reviewed a few.  Part tradesman's refuleing stop, part organic bistro it was a genius mix. The cake was first rate I'm told, I didn't get any they ate it  all whilst I was chatting. There was a cracking choice of drinks and much of the food is homemade from the owner's own organic produce. The welcome was warm, what's not to like?

Now if more cyclists knew about this place, I reckon it would get the love it deserves and the unfriendly Gardeners arms would have to cheer up a bit.

The littlest one made the cycle back, now full of cake and pop. He cycled 5 miles, which is his age. I got to wondering if I can still cycle mine? I think so but it has been a while, I think I will check soon.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to be a law that whoever owns the gardeners provides a chilly welcome for all but the most stalwart of regulars. Last time we went, a couple of weeks ago, the menu said food stopped serving at 2pm. It was 1.40pm. As we sat down outside, they gathered up the menus from the tables (from our hands!) without a word. It has always been thus. ''Here's the keys, good luck, and oh, here's your grumpy git kit. . . ''
    Hoorah for Good Fettle. What time is it open until in the afternoon, does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'TIs the truth and no mistake. Should be the best pub n Harrogate: cheap beer and garden to die for, but I know to many people who have had the cold shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Good Fettle is open until 4

    ReplyDelete